They say that the best bagels are made in New York, but I’ve also read that Montreal makes a pretty sublime one as well. I haven’t yet had the good fortune to make it to either of these places, so I can’t speak to the validity of these claims.
All I know is the everything spiced ones are my favourite.
The recipe that follows is for an everything bagel spiced cheese ball that is great to bring along for a party!
Everything Spiced Cheese Ball
(recipe adapted from Bon Appetit)
6 oz cream cheese
2 Cups old cheddar, grated
2 Tbsp butter
15 chives, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce (skip if you are serving to vegetarian friends)
5 cloves garlic
1/2 Cup vegetable oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
- In a food processor, process smooth the cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese and butter.
- Add in the chives, salt, black pepper, and Worchestershire sauce (if using), pulsing to combine.
- Get out a piece of cling film, and tip out the contents of the food processor onto it.
- Gather the cling film up around the cheese, using your hands to shape it into a ball.
- Pop the cheese ball into the fridge for an hour or two to firm up, so that it will hold it’s shape. In the meantime, you can prepare the everything spice!
- Thinly slice the shallot and garlic cloves.
- Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat.
- Shallow fry the sliced alliums in the oil until they turn crisp and just golden. Then scoop them out of the pan and set on paper towels to drain; they go from done to overdone quite quickly, so watch with care!
- Mix together the crispy shallot and garlic pieces with the poppy seeds and sesame seeds. Tada! Everything spice!
- When you’re ready to serve, unwrap the cheese ball, and coat it in the everything spice. Delightful!
- Serve with crackers, or even more true to form, bagel chips!